- Health Partners Administrative Offices, Bloomington
- Allie Micka, HJ Schmidt, mike schrenk, Karl Narveson, Dan Atkins, Matthew Kuehn, Scott Hughes, Brian Maddy, Cheryl Pappas, Robert G. Pappas
Welcome to tcphp.org
The Twin Cities PHP User Group is a community for people developing software and web applications using PHP and other open source tools. We meet monthly and run an email list for Minnesotans and approved Wisconsonites interested in sharing ideas and advocating these technologies.
<?php/* Excel Query Output
Allie Micka <firstname.lastname@example.org> 2/13/02
Outputs an excel spreadsheet for a PEAR query contained in the
variable "$result". If the array "$summaryCols" exists, a
summary row will be printed at the end of the query containing
an excel-calculated summary for that column.
This was generated by using MS Office's "Save as HTML" feature in
Excel, which produces what they call "round trip HTML". By changing
//make a pdf from simple.fo and save the pdf in a tmp-folder
$fop = new xml_fo2pdf();
// the following 2 lines are the default settins, so not
Place: Dunn Bros. Coffee, Downtown St. Paul
Attendees: Allie Micka, H.J. Schmidt, Tim McGuire, Eddie Maddox, Franz, Tom Murray, Carl Narvisson, Noah Bratzen, Robert G. Pappas
- Scot Jenkins
- Allie Micka
- David Pieper
- Tim McGuire
- Noah Bratzel -- Thanks again for the meeting space!
- H.J. Schmidt
- New Blood:
- Peter K
- Chris S
- Eric H
- Thomas T
- Jonathan T
This month we meet at Dunn Brother's Coffee Shop in downtown Minneapolis. The main topic was PHP and printable documents.
- Tim McGuire gave a demo on using pdflib with PHP. PDFLib generates PDF files on the fly. Pdflib is vector based and not like HTML table cells.
- pdflib is free for personal use. For commercial use, you pay by the number of CPU's your system has: 1 cpu = $500, 2-10 cpu's = $1000, etc.
- PHP generates a pdf file (in memory or on the file system), then the browser renders the file using a local client program like Adobe acrobat reader or xpdf.
- To work with pdf documents in PHP, you must compile PHP using "--with-pdf" and you must have a pdflib library on your system.
- PHPbuilder has a good tutorial on using pdflib with PHP.
- A competing product is Adobe's distiller server. Adobe's pricing info is here.
- Another option is ClibPDF which is "free for private, non-profit use, but a commercial license is required for for-profit applications".
- PHPTriad includes support for pdflib although it might not be the most current version.
Other Misc. topics included:
This months attendees:
- New Blood:
- Andy - a familiar face from CFUG
- Noah - provided the meeting space, Thanks Noah!
This months meeting was somewhat of a TCPHP administrative meeting.
Tim, our usual note taker, wasn't available this meeting. I (Scot)
thought I'd attempt to fill in and take the notes. Here goes...
The meeting started out at Dunn Brother's Coffee Shop in St. Paul.
Due to lack of working Internet access, we moved to Warren's old office
in the US Bank building a couple blocks down the street. The room had
no furniture, but there was a sole Linux server and working Internet